Students from EU Member States need only a valid passport or Identity Card to enter Greece.  If you are staying longer than three months, you are required to register with the Aliens Office at the Police Headquarters of the Municipality where you are living.  This is a straightforward and quick procedure.

If your country of origin is not an EU Member, you may need a visa.  Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site for up to date information on which nationalities require visas, and contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in your home country for entrance regulations prior to your departure.


For more information check the Study In Greece site


Applications for residence permits in Crete are made at the Immigration Office the Regional Administration Authority. The local offices of the Regional Authority which issue residence permits are:

For Heraklion:


Elefthernis & Suvritou 2,

Heraklion, Crete,  GR-71305 

Tel: +30 2810 264153

Fax:+30 2810 264160


For Rethymnon:  

Apolloniatou 6,

Rethymnon, Crete, GR-74100

Tel: +30 28310-20801

Fax:+30 28310-23085

Centre of Teaching and Learning Training of the Trainers (TOTT) (79)