Visas & Residence Permits 

If you are from an EU Member State, you only need a valid passport or Identity Card to enter Greece.  If you are staying longer than three months, you are required to register with the Aliens Office at the Police Headquarters of the Municipality where you are living.  This is a straightforward and quick procedure.


If your country of origin is not an EU Member, you may need a visa.  Check the Ministry of Foreign Affairs site for up to date information on whether or not you need a visa, and the relevant procedures. Contact the Greek Embassy or Consulate in your home country about entrance regulations prior to your departure.


Researchers will need a Type D visa issued by the Greek embassy or consul in your country of residence. You will need the hosting agreement and an invitation letter from the University of Crete.

Note: entry with a tourist visa is not acceptable for researchers coming to work /study at the University of Crete.  

Family Members: If you are a non-EU citizen planning to bring your family here for the duration of your contract, you are advised to bring with you documents required by the Greek public services. These are: copies of your marriage certificate and the birth certificates of your children, which have been verified as true copies - ie stamped with an Apostille stamp by the authority that issued the certificates in your country. This should be done prior to arrival.


After Arrival

Your initial entry visa is a 3-month single entry visa.  On arrival, if your study/contract period is longer than 3 months, you will need to apply for a residence permit that will be valid for the duration of your studies/contract and, for researchers accompanied by their families, a permit for each family member. 

Applications for residence permits in Crete are made at the Immigration Office of the Regional Administration Authority. The local offices of the Regional Authority that issues residence permits are:


For Heraklion:

          Elefthernis & Suvritou 2,

Heraklion, Crete,  GR-71305 

Tel: +30 2810 264153

Fax:+30 2810 264160


For Rethymnon:  

Apolloniatou 6,

Rethymnon, Crete, GR-74100

Tel: +30 28310-20801


Health Insurance

If you are a citizen of an EU country, you are advised to bring with you your European Health Insurance Card, which entitles you to medical and pharmaceutical care in a public hospital in Greece.  You can apply directly through your national health insurance provider. If you are not eligible for the EHIC, we suggest that you ask for advice at your Home University International Office about health and insurance coverage during your period abroad. You can also contact the University of Crete International Office for advice.


Other Formalities

Apart from the residence permit, researchers from EU countries and from non-EU countries will need to follow a number of specific steps for tax registration, your employment contract,  work permits, renting a house, opening a bank account, health and social insurance procedures and related matters. 

The EURAXESS Greek Network provides useful general information and links on these issues.


The Secretary of the University Department you will be joining and staff at the University’s Financial & Administrative Support Unit (ΕΛΚΕ) will be able to advise you on the procedures, who to contact, and the documents you will need.



Centre of Teaching and Learning Training of the Trainers (TOTT) (79)